1905

LAKEVILLE

STATE

SANATORIUM

LAKEVILLE, MA

Lakeville State Sanatorium, one of three additional state institutions authorized by the state in 1907 to join the Massachusetts State Sanatorium at Rutland in the care and treatment of tuberculosis patients, opened Jan. 6, 1910. The male patient was admitted Jan. 19, 1910, and the first female patient admitted Feb. 22, 1910, following the completion of the women's ward. With continuing decline in the number of orthopedic tuberculosis cases it became possible to admit patients with other crippling conditions, including arthritis (1952) and muscular dystrophy and similar diseases (1953). Lakeville State Sanatorium was renamed Lakeville Hospital. Lakeville Hospital was closed Feb. 8, 1992.first

12

© 2004-2020 JOHN GRAY PHOTOGRAPHY

ALL IMAGES ©COPYRIGHT JOHN GRAY DO NOT USE WITHOUT PERMISSION