Fairfield State Hospital (as it was known from 1929 to 1963) or Fairfield Hills Hospital (as it was known after 1963) was a psychiatric hospital which operated from 1931 until 1995. At its peak, the hospital housed over 4,000 patients. The entire facility was owned and operated by the State of Connecticut Department of Mental Health. The facility still stands, just southeast of the center of Newtown. The hospital contained 16 buildings on 100 acres. The hospital opened and received its first patients on June 1, 1933. On December 8, 1995 the facility was closed, and patients were transferred to the Connecticut Valley Hospital in Middletown, Connecticut.